Pages

Featured Post

Movies to look forward to in February 2016

January isn't really the best month in which movies come out. It is mostly known among movie critics, reviewers, and fans that when a mo...

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Eddie the Eagle Movie Review

This week's a bit different. I got the chance to see an early screening of this movie which is set for release on February 26th, and I really enjoyed it, so I thought I'd bring my review early to you guys!

Quick side note though, this doesn't affect my review schedule. I'll still see Race and Risen later this week, and  I'll be posting my review for it Friday morning for whichever one I like the most.
Second quick side note; I'm reviewing the movie just as a movie. I'm not judging it by how accurate it is to the true events.

Cool? Then in with the review!


Eddie the Eagle tells the true story of the British ski jumper Eddie Edwards (played by Taron Egerton). The movie starts with a brief montage that shows you quickly how was his childhood, and how he got to the idea that he definitely needs to ski jump in the Olympics. He starts his journey to train for the sport but he struggles a lot to accomplish in just one year what others achieved in decades, and who else can help him through his journey but the ex-Olympian Bronson Peary (played by Hugh Jackman)?
Eddie is that 100% optimistic all the time guy. He's still full of life and spirit, but the world still tries to bring him down to his knees and slow him down, and thankfully it doesn't succeed. He's ambitious and an achiever, and you can definitely feel it.
This movie honestly surprised me. There was a lot of bad talk about this movie, including that Eddie himself said that it's not 100% accurate, and also the early reviews and critics about the movie were not so good, but going out of this movie I truly have no idea why.
The movie overall is magnificently good looking! Dexter Fletcher did an amazing job directing this movie. The movie was shot really good. He portrayed the speed greatly when he needed. When Eddie is doing a jump, you really feel the speed in which he going in, and the height that he's jumping as well. He knew when to slow down in the heart-felt moments, and when to pick up the pace when the movie has to go on. That being said though, there were some sudden and abrupt tone changes in the third act that could have been handled better. You'd be watching a scene when you're supposed to feel good and proud for the character, but then a second later something else completely happens, but it doesn't really happen a lot.
The acting in the movie was brilliant. Hugh Jackman did a phenomenal job. I mean what do you expect? He's a Golden Globe winner and an Oscar nominee, and you can definitely tell that he's having absolute fun being in this movie. However, I can't say that he's the star of the movie because honestly Taron Egerton steals every scene he's in. I never really liked anything he was in before Kingsman: The Secret Service, and I did have my doubts about how he'll portray a real-life character, but I'm glad that he proved me wrong, and that he does have some solid acting range. He absolutely nailed it! He brought the good feelings to the audience as well as the bad ones. You could see in his eyes the confidence that he can accomplish his dream even though everyone around him does not belief he can.
The movie also achieves something that is really hard to be done, the tension. When Eddie is trying the 70 meters ski jump for the first time, you can't help but freak out over what's going to happen, and that was only halfway through the movie! The final act had the most tension and suspense, and it definitely worked on me and most of the audience. I wouldn't really call it the most tension-packed movie, but it is there and it is done well.
The only really bad thing about this movie, and I'm not sure if "bad" is the right word, is that it's not a popcorn-flick. It's a movie that makes you feel good, and that is worth the price of the ticket, and not a movie that you would want to see if you just want to pass time.

Guys I just don't know what to say more about this movie. I went in there with very low expectations and I came out completely satisfied. I could not ask for anything else.
If you're expecting an exact depiction of Eddie Edwards' life, it's probably not this movie, but if you want a well-done and very well-acted feel-good movie, give it a chance and it probably won't disappoint. It's a 9.5/10 for me just for these mishandled tonal shifts.

The movie comes out on February 26th guys, and I obviously recommend it.

Are you excited for this movie? Or have you already seen it? What did you think about it?? Let me know in the comments below, and if you like this review, share it with your friends! ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment